The preserved Clyde 'sludge carrier' Shieldhall coming off berth in Southampton on 4th July 2015.The 1,972-ton Shieldhall was laid down in October 1954, built by Lobnitz & Co. of Renfrew who also constructed the two triple expansion steam engines which are set vertically in a similar way to the much larger engines on the RMS Titanic. By the 1950s Lobnitz usually built its engines with enclosed crankcases but the Shieldhall was deliberately fitted with traditional open-crank engines for the public to view.She had a traditional wheelhouse of riveted and welded construction.Her length is 268 feet (82 m) and breadth 44 feet 7 inches (13.6 m). Accommodation was provided for 80 passengers. She entered service in October 1955 and was operated by Glasgow Corporation to transport treated sewage sludge down the Clyde to be dumped at sea.In 1976 Shieldhall was laid up, and in 1977 was bought by the Southern Water Authority to carry sludge from Southampton to an area south of the Isle of Wight.